6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

COOL NEWS: The King & I - Renn Faire 2007 Version!

.The King & I - Renn Faire 2007 Version!

Hi All,

As previously mentioned I attended the local Renaissance Faire this past weekend (23 June 2007), which I found rather unexciting this year... maybe I'm getting old, jaded and cranky?

I summed it up as thus:
- Lots of cleavage in tight bodices...
- Overly fried foods guaranteed to give indigestion...
- Including just about "anything on a stick"...
- As well as hunks of mutton...
Come on? Everyone loves a Henry the 8th impression!
- Lots of folks speaking with fake-o British accents...
- ALL of the fired cast extras from every Highlander movie including the bad ones...
- Some dude looking for meaning in his life by pretending to be a knight and yelling out "Fie, poxy upon him..." or something like that...
- Every woman ever who wanted to wear a furry barbarian costume with a brass brassiere...
- Including a very small number of women who can actually wear tight leather pants, furry bikinis, brass brassieres AND get away with it...
- Did I say lots of cleavage in tight bodices?
- And you pretty much have the Faire summed up.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for lots of cleavage in tight bodices... LOL ;o)

Not ALL women can get away with the "Furry Barbarian Bunny" look...

I ran into all kinds of folks I know... from Kevin E., who can actually make English Country Dance NOT seem completely pansy ...to Doug the Cool Costume Vendor ...to great swathes of the ConQuest gaming conventions staff. There's a definite correlation between gaming RPG nerds and Renn Faire geeks.

For more information about the Fair Oaks Tudor Fayre, please check out this link:

Or here:

However, the highlight of the weekend for me (...besides all the cleavage) was seeing THE KING! This fellow had the great character and mighty stones to actually wear an Elvis sic Burger King outfit to the Faire. May he go down in the annals of infamy! I say Elvis sic Burger King because I wasn't quite sure which theme was dominant.

On the Elvis side he had:
- Sideburns...
- Rhinestones and glitz...
- Funky glasses...
- Good "Elvis the Pelvis" poses...

On the Burger King side, he had:
- Fake plastic hair piece...
- Red crown...
- A somewhat commercial-like dialogue...
- A somewhat fast food like odor... (The "fry king?")
(Or maybe he'd had a grease appetizer at the food court?)
(Mmmmm! Congealed potato-flavored grease ...on a stick!)

So to end this post with a thought-provoking question:

*** Which do you think he resembles more? Elvis or the Burger King? ***

Have a great Tuesday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

P.S.
Thanks Marcus for taking the GOOD photo! And a "double thanks" to my buddies, Vynnie, Mikos and Marcus for being such great company!

P.S.S.
A special shout out to my friend and fellow geek, Rivka!

Notes regarding photos / pictures / videos: These are not all my images and videos. I am using various images and videos from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images and videos under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:41 AM, June 28, 2007, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    Did you say cleavage in tight bodices? Cant have been all bad then.

    I once had a close encoutner with the king myself. picture this if you will:

    I was walking down the main strip in Vegas, minding my own buisness with a few of the lads, having maybe consumed an ale or two. I dont know the time, other than parts of the night sky between neon lights was dark...

    Out of the darkness squeaked a tandem bicycle. Off jumped the King with a shout "Elvis and my nerd brother Melvis", at which point a dude of similar appearance but with coke bottle glasses, brown tie and a pocket protector. Then they did a dual act of he usual tunes. Most amusing. Actually, it could have been the beer.

    Having studied your pic intently, I believe he was the King, not some fast food ripoff.

    Did you say cleavage in tight bodices???....

     
  • At 5:26 AM, June 28, 2007, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Tas,

    Excellent amusing story... and a good reason to run a blog... to share and hear interesting stories!

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home