6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MINI WARGAMING: "Added Lanterns & Doors to The 28mm Ship" (22 January 2008)

.
TOP: The Fore Castle & Front Mast Socket of my 28mm pirate ship.
Hi All,

I've still been toiling away on my 28mm pirate ship project... and have finished the following:

- Added three pairs of conventional lanterns custom-made from card and beads.
- Finished two of the three sockets with railings for the eventual masts.
- Added two "skull lanterns" to the aft castle.
- Added three pairs of doors to the fore and aft castle cabins:
(A pair to rear aft castle cabin wall, and a pair each to the front and back of the fore castle cabin bulkhead)
- Almost finished drilling out the ship's grates.
- Added balsa wood trim across various parts of the ship.

TOP: The Aft Castle Deck with new "skull lanterns"...
...placed to the sides of the central lantern.
TOP: The Fore Castle cabin with new doors...
...and conventional lanterns added.

The project is coming along, but there's still plenty to do.

Among those chores are:

- Adding ladders between the central deck and the raised fore and aft decks.
- Adding the railing to the central deck mast socket.
- Building the three masts along with crow's nests.
- Creating three sails.
- Building the rigging.
- Adding balsa trim to much of the rest of the ship.
- Adding magnetic stripping to the aft and fore castle cabins.
- Adding steel paper to the bottoms of the aft and fore castle decks.
- Detailing.
- Basing the entire waterline ship on a piece of plasticard.
- Priming.
- Painting.

And being that real sailing ships required far more labor and skilled construction hands than my simple resin miniature, I can only imagine how much labor went into their construction. The rigging alone is tough to imagine putting together. I'm gaining new respect for the sailors of yesteryear.

A link to all of the photos I took here:
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/Maksim-Smelchak/28mm_Pirates/28mm-Pirate-Ship_1-12-2008/

Good gaming to all and...
Have a great Tuesday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Notes regarding photos / pictures / videos: These are not all my images and videos. I am using various images and videos from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images and videos under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (...if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:44 AM, January 23, 2008, Blogger the_desert_fox said…

    Excellent modeling work on your pirate ship mate. Very impressed. I shall bookmark website to keep eye on its progress.

    Many happy days of pirating.
    simon

     
  • At 3:54 AM, January 23, 2008, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    Looking good mate, very ship-shape!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, January 27, 2008, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Simon and Tas,

    Thanks for writing, guys.

    I'm looking forward to finishing the project, hopefully before Summer 2008.

    With any luck, I'll find a new, better job soon, get in dialed in, and be able to spend some dedicated time on the ship, WAB armies, etc. LOL ;o)

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home