6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

MINI WARGAMING: "28mm Pirate Ship Coming Together" (26 December 2007)

.
TOP: Master Necromancer Maksimok's shipyards.
Hi Everyone,

One of the projects I have been enjoying the most lately has been a 28mm pirate ship.

I was browsing E-bay one day and found it for considerably under a C-spot ($100.00 USD) and decided to lowball the bid and miraculously I WON! So, the next thing I know, the pirate ship arrives and my work bench is covered in the undead, which effectively meant that the pirate ship project was forced to wait.

TOP: A dark PIRATE SHIP appears out of the foggy night!

So then a work colleague and friend, Cheri, calls me and, knowing I speak Spanish, asks me to tutor her daughter, Keri, in Spanish language studies so I came and started working with her. After a tutoring lesson one day, Keri chats me up a bit and asks how I liked the most recent "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. I mentioned that I enjoyed it and was even building a pirate ship model. This intrigued them and Cheri offered to lend me her corner table so I could build it with them... so I did. The next thing I know I started assembling a pirate ship at my friend's apartment with a teenage assistant who wanted to learn the craft. I started learning the parts of the ship, teaching my assistant nautical terminology, and, at the same time, teaching hobby skills.

And it's slowly coming together...

TOP: The aft castle has adornment made out of cheap jewelry charms.
TOP: Shaping the fore castle railing took some work...
The white tubes sticking up are mountings for masts.

The ship itself is an out-of-production 28mm model from Merrimack Miniatures / Old Glory called the adventure galley. I have slowly been cleaning it up and customizing it. I plan to use it with the excellent Pirates! rule set from my friends at Flagship Games, so I've built the masts to be removable. The masts are made from 3/8" dowels that fit snugly into 7/16" hollow plastic tubing.

TOP: The ship is coming together as seen from the side.
Both the fore and aft castles are removable...
With cabins accessible underneath them.
TOP: From this angle, you can see...
The cabin under the fore castle...
Has a custom bulkhead installed.

There is also custom railing, a hand-made front bulkhead and more.

I haven't decided what sort of crew to populate her from yet... I have three in mind:
1. A traditional, historical human pirate crew.
2. A demi-human, mostly Orc pirate crew.
3. A skeleton & zombie undead pirate crew.
Keri likes the undead crew best. I'm of a mind to keep the ship flexible and allow all three crews on board... just not at the same time!

Here are some 28mm pirate links for you:

Flagship Games
link:

Old Glory Miniatures
link:

Pirate Wargames
Yahoo discussion E-group:

The rest of my 28mm pirate ship photos at my Photobucket image gallery:

Have a root'in toot'in great Wednesday!

And happy holidays!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Notes regarding photos / pictures / videos: These are not all my images and videos. I am using various images and videos from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images and videos under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (...if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM, December 29, 2007, Blogger Henry Durand said…

    Wow! Congrats on a great find! And your work in progress looks magnificent so far. I can't wait to see it when it is complete and all painted up!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    Brilliant! Brilliant - I love it (of course)

    I suggest alkl3 crews, whoi can take it in turns to man the chip, but then provide good enemies for boarding actions and carousing ashore!

     
  • At 2:52 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    not to be nickpicky but if ye wish to sail the high seas, ye has to get yer terminology right - the last picture shoes the Captain's Cabin (also known as the Great Cabin) under the Quarterdeck - the foc'sle is of course up for'ard.

    Just a thought - have you consideed a removable and exchangable figurehead and flags to match the crew types when you swap them about?

     
  • At 7:44 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Enrique,

    Thank you!

    I can't wait to finish the 28mm pirate ship project either. I spent a bit of time on it this past New Years weekend and took some more photos to share soon.

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Tas,

    Thanks for writing, mate, as always!

    Thanks for the nautical terminology corrections. I'm not an old salt like you, but aland lubber so we make lots of mistakes considering the multiplicity of the words of the sea.

    I probably will build all of the crews. I just found someone who'd like to sell their entire used 28mm pirate collection on the side at a reasonable price so I may have some other ships in the fleet soon. You can never have enough crews, right?

    I do know the difference between fore and aft and while the Captain's cabin and aft castle are most prominent in the last photo, it was the photo with the best angle to see the forecastle and the custom bulkhead I put in there. Thanks for the correction though... I should have taken a better, more illustrative photo.

    And I have considered an exchangable figurehead and flags to match the crew types when you swap them about, The figurehead I'm going to leave alone, but the sails, masts, crews, and flags will all be removeable and exchangeable.

    Thanks!

    Happy New Years 2008!

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home