6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

MINI WARGAMING: "6mm - 10mm Sci-fi Rules Preview" (27 November 2007)

.

TOP: Striker II, one of the classic Traveller mini rulesets.
Hi All,

Gamers are funny breed... they tend to get very obsessed with their particular gaming interest whether it be board games, miniatures games, RPGs or otherwise. They'll obsessively learn everything they can about their gaming niche interest and "collect"everything they can. And I wish I could say that I was different, but I'm NOT. I love my niches and collect everything I can related to them whether it be 6mm sci-fi, 10mm sci-fi, AIW, modern missile boats, my 28mm undead collection, or anything else that interests me.

And 6mm sci-fi rulesets are one of my niches!


TOP: Dirtside II, one of the classic 6mm sci-fi rulesets...
...that first laid claws into me.

Just a few weeks ago, another gamer, Edmund Proctor, came out with a rules review that prompted me to work on my own overview of small scale (6mm to 10mm) sci-fi rulsesets from the 1970s onward. So I pulled out my notes and began to work on rules reviews again...

You can see my link back to Edmund's site here:
http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/2007/11/mini-wargaming-cool-6mm-sci-fi-intro-15.html


TOP: A lesser known 6mm sci-fi ruleset, Micro Sci-Fi.

And as I worked on my rules reviews, I came to the realization that there are far more than had previously ocurred to me... I'm still not done and I've already come up with SEVENTY-SIX (76) entries! When I'm done with the document, I'll be posting it at the 6mm Science Fiction War Games Yahoo Discussion E-group, of which I'll post a link below. Until then, I'll post a preview of my work here. Here's a sample entry:


Name: Command Horizon
Genre: Sci-fi ground combat
Future level: Far future (space opera)
Org. level: Battalion battle
Universe: Command Horizon (Space Worms)

Rules Data:
Game Type: Miniatures game
Complexity: 2 to 3 (Streamlined to average complexity)

Unit Types:
Infantry: YES
Vehicles: YES
Mecha: YES
Flyers: YES

Miniatures Data:
Mini line: YES
Mini scale: 6mm
Status: (In production – for sale)
Minis Internet Link:

http://commandhorizon.com/

Publishing Data:
Manufacturer: Baccus (...formerly Gladiator Games)
Date: 2007
Status: (In Print – For Sale)
Rarity: N/A

Brief Description:
Gladiator Games came out with a great 6mm sci-fi miniatures line in the early 2000;s, but could never get out a rule set to accompany the line. In 2007, Gladiator Games sold the line to Baccus who developed a rule set for the game, which has since been available. Command Horizon (CH) is a battalion level sci-fi ground battle game designed to be quick-playing.

Rules Internet Link:
http://commandhorizon.com/

And here's a working list of game rules:


AD2222
The AD Wars
Adeptus Titanicus (1rst edition)
Adeptus Titanicus II (2nd edition)
Aeronautica Imperialis
Aerotech
ALA Firefight - Urban Conflict in the Ion Age
Alien Squadleader (ASQL)
The Battle For Armageddon
Battledroids
Battletech
Bommas Over Da Sulpha River
CAV
CAV II
Centurion (Renegade Legion)
Cold War Commander (sci-fi)
Combat Commander
Combots
Command Horizon
Dark Realm
Miniatures Rules
Days of Empire (DOE)
Dirtside I
Dirtside II
The Doom of the Eldar
Epic-40k
Epic-Armageddon
Exodus Wars
FFT Sci-fi
Flagship Games Sci-fi Microarmor Rules
GEV
Giant Monster Rampage (GMR)
Grav Tanks
GROPOS
Hammer’s Slammers
Heavy Gear Blitz!
Heavy Gear Tactical
Hellfire
Helltank
Helltank Destroyer

Horus Heresy
HOTT
Industrial Gothic
Iron Cow 2103
Iron Hawk
Laser Tank

MAATAC
Macross Minis
Mecha!
Mecha! Spirit Warrior Empire
Mechwarrior: The Dark Age (MWDA)
Meck Wars
The Mek Wars: Destroid Wars
Mekton
Micro Sci-Fi
Monster Island: The Game of Giant Monster Combat
Moon Dragon
Net-Epic
OGRE
Outpost Gamma
Princess Ryan’s Space Marines
Prophecy Of War
Renegade Legion
RIVETs
Ronin
Ronin Wars
Silent Death: The Next Millenium
Space Marine (1rst edition)
Space Marine (2nd edition)
Starship Troopers
Star Siege: Rebellion
Steel Crush
Steel Rain
Striker I
Striker II
Striker III
Titan Legions
Universal War
Warbots & Death Machines

And one of the reasons I posted this was to look for constructive feedback...

*** Do you have any suggestions or advice of details you'd like to see in each ruleset's entry? Any other ideas? ***

If you do have advice or suggestions, please post them at the my blog in the comments section or at the 6mm Science Fiction War Games Yahoo Discussion E-group.

Link here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/6mmScienceFictionWarGames/


Have a great Tuesday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Update (2 December 2007 at roughly 3:00pm):
I corrected a few typos and added a title or two to the list.

Notes regarding photos / pictures / videos: These are not all my images and videos. I am using various images and videos from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images and videos under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, November 27, 2007, Blogger Noah said…

    It's a good list, and ambitious. There's some names on there that bring back memories...

    Hellfire!

    Maksim, I emailed you a few days ago, but I'm not sure if it went through.

    I need (okay, really really want) a copy of Hellfire and any/all supplements for it. Anybody have some they'd be willing to part with?

    Contact me at ndoyle AT indt DOT rr DOT com.

     
  • At 6:58 AM, November 28, 2007, Blogger Tertius said…

    Maksim: Great idea. Can't wait to see the completed project. I see a few titles on the list that I don't think are miniatures games. Horus Heresy, Doom of the Eldar, and Battle for Armegeddon are all board wargames with chits, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, November 28, 2007, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    Great list Maks!

    I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I come up with any others

     
  • At 5:32 AM, November 29, 2007, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Noah,

    Sorry about not getting back to you earlier. I will be E-mailing you off-board.

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     
  • At 5:34 AM, November 29, 2007, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Tertius,

    You're right.

    I included a few board games that were either closely asscoiated with miniature games, were widely converted to miniature games, or otherwise seemed appropriate.

    The master list has these constraints added to it, but until then, I'll just have the samples available.

    I'm thinking of posting the "work in progress."

    Thanks for writing!

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     
  • At 5:35 AM, November 29, 2007, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Tas,

    Always good to hear from you... Id love to hear what that magnificent noggin of yours can come up with when you have your thinking cap on.

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     
  • At 2:38 AM, February 23, 2011, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    OK mate - time for an update - LOTs have come out since this project in 2007!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home