6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

MODELLING: 6mm Miniature Bases for Epic-Armageddon!

Hi Everyone,

I've discovered that I don't care for basing vehicles either.

------

However, I like the storage advantages of having based vehicles so I've compromised:

- I attach a steel plate under vehicles now to store them magnetically.

- Some vehicles like plastic Land Raiders have very little base to glue the metal plate to so I glue two plastic pieces underneath and then glue the metal plate down.

- Metal vehicle miniatures also greatly benefit from this mounting system.

- An additional advantage is that I can always fit a vehicle's steel base to a larger magnetic base if I ever change my mind and decide I want vehicle bases.

- Plastic Land Raiders and Rhinos store much more securely then.

- Land Raiders require a 5/8" x 5/8" (Roughly 15mm x 15mm) base underneath them.

- Rhinos, Predators, Whirlwinds and related vehicles take a 1/2" x 1/2" base underneath them.

------

I also stopped glueing down turrets and now mount a magnet under turret attachment points and glue a small round cut-out of steel paper (Or a small magnet... ) under turrets.

- This makes all of my turrets interchangeable.

- It's also very inexpensive.

- Using rare-earth magnets makes the turrets attach very securely for those worried about lisng turrets.

- The other cool thing about this method is that turrets can be turned for photo shoots.

------

I like the Flames of War (FOW) bases, but they tend to be a bit large for vehicles in my opinion.

FOW bases come in three sizes:

SMALL:
- 1&1/4" x 1" (32mm x 25mm)

MEDIUM:
- 1&1/4" x 2" (32mm x 50mm)

LARGE:
- 2" x 2&1/2" (50mm x 65mm)

------

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home