6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

FILMS: Pendragon's "War Of the Worlds" Continued...

Hi Primarch,

Primarch:
I want to see that!

*** At Walmart you say? ***

Got to check Pendragon's "War Of the Worlds" out.

We finally went to bed yesterday without finishing the film. It's about THREE hours long!

And much of film is a very faithful adaptation of the novel... meaning that it is VERY slow!

There must be dozens of scenes of pointless running through the woods.

Or meaningless dialogue between two Victorian characters pointing out the PAINFULLY obvious...

The special effects are also rather comical in areas...

I sort of like the funny special effects though... they have the feel of an early sci-fi film, which gave Diana and I a few good chuckles.

I still haven't gotten to the big "Thunder Childe" scene (Martian Tripods versus a pre-WWI naval dreadnought), but I've heard that the scene is like watching a tennis match:

- Pan to characters' faces with incredulous looks...
- Pan to CGI special effect's clip...
- Pan to characters' faces with incredulous looks...
- Pan to CGI special effect's clip...
- Pan to characters' faces with incredulous looks...
- Pan to CGI special effect's clip...
- On and on, etc., etc. :p

I still think that the film is a good value for $8.00 USD, but I doubt that I'll ever watch the ENTIRE film again... I'll just use the scene selector to see my favorite clips to get in the mood for a "War Of the Worlds" miniatures game.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home