6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

GAMING NEWS: The WAB-Man is Gone.

.
Hi Everyone,

Preparations are under way for a memorial service for Scott Hayes. Mark recently wrote and shared the following information:

All,
For those of you that did not hear, Scott Hayes passed away on October 30. His family is having him cremated and his ashes spread over Puget Sound per his request. There will be a memorial service but the family has not yet located a place. It will likely be Friday night.

On Sunday his gaming buddies and I will be hosting a get-together at his house and will buy his stuff from his family. We wil trust you to pay a fair price to his family to help them pay off his debts. We will be on hand to apply the guilt factor to pay a fair price. Get there about Noon.

His family would rather the local gaming community have the figures that he painted than have them go on E-bay to people who won't appreciate them. Many of the painted figures are parts of largely completed projects. The unpainted and boxed stuff will be sold on E-bay. The stuff that we will be selling on Sunday will be his paints, his projects, his board games, magazines etc.

Bring your own box and cash. See you there.

Mark A. Steinberg.

Please contact Mark or myself for more information (location, time, etc.).

Another gamer remembered Scott:

A sad day for all gamers... Scott was a great guy.
Salute!
Michael H.

And Manny Granillo, owner of the local SHIELD convention and a fine gentleman to boot, has already announced the following:

Gents
Scott's passing came as a shock to me this morning. I had come to know Scott pretty well since he was one of the few people I could count on to help with running the WAB tournament at The Shield.
In his memory, I will rename the WAB tournament prize to The Hayes Cup and dedicate this upcoming Shield 2007 to Scott Hayes and all the wonderful things he did to promote the hobby and just be a good friend.
He will be sorely missed.
Manny Granillo.

Another local convention, ConQuest Sac 2007 also has plans for a memorial convention. The ConQuest Sac 2007 effort has been led by Roger M., a fine gentleman and a scholar as well as a former 82nd Airbourne paratrooper.

You can learn more about The SHIELD 2007 here:

http://www.geocities.com/ancientconference2004/

And ConQuest Sac 2007 here:

http://www.avalonconventions.com/conquestsac/

Have a great Thursday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

P.S.
WAB is an abbreviation for Warhammer Ancient Battles, a popular game of ancients warfare using miniatures. Learn more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Ancient_Battles

Notes regarding photos / pictures: These are not all my images. I am using various images from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, November 03, 2006, Blogger Kobold Curry Chef said…

    Hi Max,

    Was Scott's handle on TMP "whitemetalman?"

    Jefferson

     
  • At 8:57 AM, November 03, 2006, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Jefferson,

    I really don't know for sure, but that sounds right.

    I mostly played games with him and conversed with him in person. We didn't share alot of E-mail exchanges.

    Probably the easiest way to tell would be to go through WAB tournament announcements at TMP... shouldn't be too hard to connect the two.

    Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, November 03, 2006, Blogger Kobold Curry Chef said…

    Hi Max,

    I was just hoping my recollection might be off, but I'm pretty sure it's the same fellow. I only met Scott once, at Shield 2006. He was incredibly generous with his time and his figures. He helped Jim (GypsyComet) and I stumble through our first game of WAB, and he loaned me his nicely painted Viking army for the tournament. The hobby desperately needs more folks like Scott. He will be missed.

    Condolences on the loss of your friend -- I wish I'd gotten to know him better!

    Jefferson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home