6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

MINI WARGAMING: "Monsterpocalypse Is Almost Upon Us" (14 November 2007)

.
TOP: Monsterpocalypse, a new game coming out from Privateer Press.
Hi All,

Well, I'm not always the quickest with breaking news, but I always get around to what I want to... sooner or later. This news, an impending Kaiju game called Monsterpocalypse came out slightly before Halloween so, without further ado, check out the below announcement from Privateer Press (PP):

Privateer Press Announces Collectible Miniatures Game!

Today we are excited to announce our plans to produce a collectible miniatures game (CMG) named Monsterpocalypse™.

Monsterpocalypse brings the kaiju (loosely translated from Japanese as ‘giant monster’) genre to the tabletop in the form of a fast-paced, action-packed CMG.

The Monsterpocalypse CMG will launch with over 80 pre-painted plastic figures in the initial set and will include large-scale monsters, destroyable city structures, and vehicles. Planned for release at retail in 2008, figures will be sold in randomized booster packs and non-randomized starter games, and special figures will be available at events throughout 2008.

Privateer Press announcement link here:
http://www.privateerpress.com/monsterpocalypse/default.html

And while I'm not the biggest fan of Collectible Miniature Games (CMGs), I do love Kaiju and for a Kaiju-o-phile, it doesn't get much better than this.

TOP: The 1998 Zilla, an American Godzilla, born & bred to trash NYC.
TOP: Monsterpocalypse's dino-lizard Kaiju prototype...
Hmmm... I wonder if they have licensing deal?

I'm a bit wary about what PP plans to do with rules... while I like PP's big games War Machine and Hordes, I'm not sure that a similar set would be good for kaiju gaming. However, there's always Monster Island (MI), a set which has already stood the test of time. And speaking of MI, I ran into Patrick Sweeney, the creator of Monster Island, this past weekend and we chatted about what's on the horizon for MI, to which he announced Monster Island II should be coming out next year in 2008 as well. Between MI-II, Monsterpocalypse, and a possible new Giant Monster Rampage (GMR) rule set, 2008 should be a great year for kaiju gaming!

Firefly Games, the makers of Monster Island:
http://www.firefly-games.com/

Giant Monster Rampage game entry at BGG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12129

TOP: UFO, anyone?

Here are some more links to discussion of Monsterpocalypse at some of the mini game forums out there:

TMP link here:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=124041

Another TMP link here:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=124063

Frothers link here:
http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12348

TOP: A little mecha will make it go down...

I'm really impressed with the prototype sculpts that PP has released to the public... I only hope that the vehicles and buildings scale in around 6mm... Well, here's hoping!

Have a great Wednesday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Notes regarding photos / pictures / videos: These are not all my images and videos. I am using various images and videos from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images and videos under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home