6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Saturday, April 15, 2006

MINI WARGAMING: MWS Meeting (15 April 2006).


Hi Everyone,

There was an MWS meeting today (15 April 2006) at the Rancho Cordova meeting that was well attended.

The following showed up:
- Brad
- Brian
- Charles Gomez
- Dick
- Joe Bianchi
- Joe Riddle
- Keith
- Maksim (me!)
- Mark
- Mike O'Brien
- Mike W.
- Randy
- Tony

For more information about the MWS gaming club and to examine a photo gallery chocked full of miniatures splendor, please check out this site:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/M_W_S/

Two games were staged:

(Forgive me my laziness in making these battle reports short and quick!)

======
1. Battleground WWII: Eastern Front

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/20441

(BG:WWII photo courtesy of BGG.)

Players:
- Germans: Minor victory.
- Russians: Minor loss.

This was the biggest game of the day and I was lucky enough to play in it. Mike Warde led the German team and Kurt led the Russian team. Both sides fought a hard fight and there were lots of upset die rolls and more than a few semi-miraculous feats of bravery. One of the most amazing was when the German Tiger tank was brewed by a long-ranged shot by "hot hands" Kurt, who rolled two ones in a row! Mazel Tov, Kurt!

The below photo, taken by Mike Warde, shows Kurt's amazing Tiger kill:

All the smoke came from not only the brewed Tiger, but the German supply depot that went up when the Tiger exploded.

Dick and Joe Riddle duked it out on another end of the field and their good sportsmanship and playful camaraderie really made the game a joy to join. Both took their lumps too. I played a mediocre game, but sited some German mine fields very well... the Russians hit almost every field I laid. Overall, it was a great game... Thanks to everyone who played in it!

And a special thanks to Kurt and Mark for providing the figures and terrain in the game as well as hosting! Thank you very much, gentlemen!

And because Dick mentioned it, I was on the winning German side so the old myth of "Maks always wins!" stands another day! Here's hoping that Crystal won't tease me too much about it this upcoming Wednesday!

======
2. Flames of War: African Front

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11168

Players:
- Allied: ?
- Germans: ?

I was too busy playing in the BG-WWII game to notice too much, but Randy, Tony, Brian, Brad and others appeared to have had a great time. The battle had brewed armor and shattered infantry all over the battlefield so it must have been a very hard fought battle. Tony left the game smiling so I have the idea that he fought well and probably won.

======

- Joe Riddle brought some beautifully painted HOTT armies to show off and they were very impressive. Mazel Tov, Joe! Joe has a really dramatic-looking undead force and... zombie dogs and ghost chickens! And, yes, I typed that correctly!

- Mike O'Brien hopes to play Blitzkrieg Commander next meeting and is looking for players so please contact him if you are interested.

- Tony is planning to run a 1973 Yom Kippur War battle using microarmor sometime in the next few months if anyone is interested. He wants to run a late-war Golan Heights scenario featuring Syrians and the Israeli Peled Task Force. He is looking for players so please contact him if you are interested. He is planning to use the Modern Spearhead ruleset, but may use a Modern Flames of War ruleset once he has reviewed those rules.

- I brought the Alien Squad Leader (ASQL) rule set and would like to run a game sometime in the next few months. I'm planning to invite Aron Clark down, who is specifically credited in the book and lives in the Bay Area, not too far from us.

Have a great day!

Chag Sameach and Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Notes regarding photos / pictures: These are not all my images. I am using various images from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:49 PM, April 15, 2006, Blogger Paul O'G said…

    Great report Maks! Looks like a great day. I'm really envious about all the great gaming you are doing lately mate - well done!

    Best wishes,
    Paul

     
  • At 8:06 AM, April 16, 2006, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said…

    Hi Tas,

    Thanks!

    And don't worry, I'm sure you can get your gaming groove on when the time comes...

    I recommend setting up a Yahoo E-group to gather local gamers together and see what happens...

    My success is largely due to "networking" to find like-minded enthusiasts.

    Chag Sameach and Shalom,
    Maksim-Smelchak.

    P.S.
    Why am I in the mood for T-Rex and "Bang a Gong?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home