6mm-Minis

6mm-Minis is Maksim-Smelchak's blog to discuss gaming, miniatures, books, movies, food, Israel, Judaism, life in general and other funny crud. My favorite scale of miniatures is 6mm, which is also called 1/285 or 1/300 scale. I enjoy many different kinds of games including ancients, Napoleonics, WWI, WWII, the Arab-Israeli conflict, Car Wars AKA Autoduel (a sort of crash'n'derby automobile combat game), 6mm Godzilla AKA Kaiju games, and science fiction games. I'm open to everything though!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

QUOTES: Twain On Fathers (13 February 2007)...

.
Hi Everyone,

I hope that everything is going well for everyone. I've been keeping busy with life and it's been making sure that things don't get too boring. The other day ago, a friend and I were discussing parents, which brought to mind a quote from Mark Twain that my mother loves to recall... she even writes it into the syllabus for her college classes. At any rate, it's a gem and well worth sharing. Enjoy!

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

- Attributed by Reader's Digest, Sept. 1937.
This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.

Please check out this site for many more great Mark Twain quotes:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Father.html

Twain is best known for his characters Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn...


But my favorite Twain work beyond a doubt is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."

It has one of the earliest examples of the use of a time travel plot device in literature and the novel is full of entertaining comedy... one of Twain's great talents was a very witty intuitive sense of humor.

I also highly recommend another writer from roughly the same period named Ambrose Bierce. If you've never checked out his "The Devil's Dictionary," you're missing out.
The Devil's Dictionary (1911)
(first published in book form as The Cynic's Word Book, 1906)

Have a kick-back Tuesday!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Notes regarding photos / pictures: These are not all my images. I am using various images from around the web, mostly from public sources and/or private sources used with permission. I have tried to include only images under public domain, creative commons, or fair use. If I have inadvertently violated any copyrights, please inform me and I will remove your image/s (if it is indeed an infringement).

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home